Aaaand it's December again!

We've had this song before, but how could I resist? I mean, Black Friday was more than a week ago and my inbox is still overflowing with "BUY THIS HERE NOW!!!" emails, so...

Here's "The Christmas Can-Can (Animated Version)," lyrics and arrangement by Walter Chase, music (mostly) by Jacques Offenbach, sung by Straight No Chaser:

Video posted by Straight No Chaser

***

Still nothing definitive about Walter Chase (although, as I said last year, it seems more likely than not that he is Jewish.


As for the melody, I know that (the Jewish) Offenbach titled it "Infernal Galop" in his first full-length operetta, Orpheus in the Underworld, but what I see when I hear that music is neither

Video posted by medici.tv (which makes me feel like I really must go see the full thing)

nor

Video posted by Petittwo, from the 1952 film Moulin Rouge

but

Video posted by ShopRiteStores

What can I say? We are all products of our childhoods. Although just how Offenbach's childhood as the son of a synagogue cantor ended up producing someone who wrote nearly 100 operettas, I have no idea...

Comments

  1. What fun! It has been raining all day, would have been a depressing time but for these renditions 🤗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Note: Unfortunately, comments left when using Safari disappear into the ether. Chrome seems to work, though, which I’m sure is a total coincidence. Thank you for going that extra mile!

Popular posts from this blog

"Let us turn our thoughts today to Martin Luther King" --James Taylor

Thank you, all those who have served in our military!

St. Nicholas Music, Inc.