A Happy Chanukah to all!

So it's the second night of Chanukah (actually, it will be the second day when most of you will see this, because it is only if I am fast and lucky that I will get this done before I turn into a pumpkin or something) and I thought I would bring you the very traditional "Ma'oz Tzur."

Yes, yes, I know. I have brought you Ma'oz Tzur before (and before and before). But the Jewish people have been singing Ma'oz Tzur at least eight times per Chanukah for...well, for a really quite very long time. I mean, this melody dates back, probably, to the 15th Century or thereabouts, and the lyrics are believed to have be written even further back, in the 13th Century, so yeah. That's a lot of times it's been sung. Three repetitions is NOTHING. So have another. Here's the then-President of Israel, Ruvi Rivlin, lighting candles and leading the audience in singing Ma'oz Tzur on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the Israeli Philharmonic, until he is interrupted by the orchestra playing Ma'oz Tzur.

Video posted by Israeli Philharmonic


(Not to downplay the beauty of the orchestra, but I thought the audience was doing fine by itself.)

More tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Let us turn our thoughts today to Martin Luther King" --James Taylor

Thank you, all those who have served in our military!

St. Nicholas Music, Inc.